You’ve seen it on the news thousands of time. “Government criticised for failing / cutting / changing X”. No wonder government is so slow! Change is painful, status quo feels safe and easy by comparison.
I have just finished an 8 month assignment in a major government reform program. These are the top 5 tactics that I observed as the most effective in enabling reform:
- Lead not rule. Enable not preach. Love not fear.
- RACI: Align the As, empower the Rs, cut the Cs and invigorate the Is.
- Precisely wrong can also be roughly right: don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
- Speed cannot be delegated.
- Supplier vs. Regulator: understand the difference and know your role.
In 8 months I achieved what I would have expected to deliver in 4 within the private sector. On my last day my client most kindly commented “you have done a great job, although it might not feel that way to you”. It’s a sort of reverse jet lag I suppose!
Note to self for next time: reset body clock and enjoy.