Regular readers might recall my earlier post where I described my experiences of hiring overseas expertise to design and build a web based database system. Testing is now finished and we launch tomorrow. I’ve learned 5 very valuable lessons.
1. It works! I got exactly what I asked for. All my fears about using unknown untested overseas resources were unfound.
2. Next time I will build systems using pre-existing modules, rather than from the ground up.
3. Using PayPal is a turn-off for customers. But in Australia it is the only low-commitment option (currently).
4. Remember the 80/20 rule – don’t let the IT tail wag the productivity dog.
5. Forex risk is real – had I started a month later my costs would be 10% more.