The problems I solve
If clients are honest, typically they have been bumping into the same issue for a while. A business problem that has been growing for long time, now needs fixing once and for all.
That means breaking huge challenges into bite size chunks, creating a credible plan, getting funding and sign-off to act, and then getting started.
To their boss, I am a safe pair of hands who creates order, direction and positive momentum.
To my clients, I am the person who enhances their confidence, boosts their career prospects, and helps them get home before the kids go to bed.
Who I help
Functional experts in senior leadership positions benefit most from my work. This means people with a logical / scientific / financial / technical background who are now CEO, CFO, GM or similar.
Clients typically work in a tier 2 organisation such as a market challenger, government department, not-for-profit, or non-government organisation.
I only work with leaders who are committed to creating exceptionally improved performance, and recognise that they themselves need to develop as well as their teams.
Don’t come to me if you want an easy ride! Instead use another consultant who can try to protect you from the reality of fundamental issues that always need to be addressed during true transformations. There is nothing wrong with that, but be aware of the difference.
It is highly rewarding working with me. Because true change begins at the edge of your comfort zone I will create a safe space for you to push your boundaries and create enduring breakthroughs.
Commercial projects with a large dose of behavioural change and technology.
- Turnaround strategy design for a mobile telecoms company which delivered a $45m contribution improvement within nine months.
- Behavioural change management of a successful ERP implementation for a regional mining services company.
- Turnaround plan design and successful procurement tender leadership for an IT transformation in a 1,500 person not-for-profit.
Who I am
I’m a business fixer, unblocker, organiser, bridge builder, insight giver, facilitator. My testimonials give a good view of what others value in me.
By truly integrating the commercial and human aspects of organisational performance, I get to the heart of issues. I am passionate about supporting people achieve better results, and use a unusual blend of directive consulting advice and non-judgmental coaching.
My corporate experience includes 25 years in operational, management and leadership positions, mostly in multi-nationals. As a result of living and working in 5 countries, I can still remember a few words of German and Mandarin Chinese!
Although I can do many things myself, today my passion is enabling and empowering others.
What I’m not good at
Sales or work requiring detailed compliance skills are not my strengths. I do not work well with people who are not prepared to step outside their comfort zone.
I’m quite logical, a natural planner, like numbers and am best at marathons (not sprints). This fits well with some people, but not others.
What else I do
- Producer of the Smart Business Transformation podcast. Over 6,800 downloads and counting!
- Author of the book Right is Wrong, 8 essential steps to avoid the pitfalls that smart people make when transforming their organisation.
- Founder and CEO of the GFChart Business Intelligence software. Satisfied customers in almost 40 countries and counting!
- Founder of the Swim.Rocks community for swimming administrators, and global leader in online training for swimming technical officials. 1,700 successful course passes and counting!
- Founder of the VolunteerGenius.pro volunteer recruitment and enablement platform.
Qualifications, Awards & Courses
- PROSCI accredited Change Manager, Being Human (Australia)
- Solution Focussed Coaching, Institute of Coaching and Consulting Psychology (Australia)
- MBA with Distinction (top 10%), University of Warwick (UK)
- Certificate in Management Studies, University of Wolverhampton (UK)
- Chartered Engineer, Institute of Engineering and Technology (UK)
- Batchelor of Science with Honours, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Bath (UK)